08 April 2014

Dark Beer on a Hot Day

Image by Ken Lund
On one day that I know well,
I will drink a dark beer .
I know that I will drink a dark beer,
Cupped in plastic, kissed by the air.
One day in the Vieux Carré.

They will want me to drink it from a football
Or a curving clear flute.
They will sneer
Because I won’t even sip
A syrup-dyed drink.
But I will have my dark beer.

On one day, perhaps in June,
In the frightful sweatiness of the Vieux Carré,
I will drink a dark beer.
My friends cast me down,
Strangers too. They all karaoke.
They won’t buy my next round.

I will, on that hot June day,
Finish a dark beer.
My friends they all cheer,
They pull up a stool, but I shake my head.
I wave them off. They know that
I’m going to drink another dark beer.

This is a little more lighthearted than anything I've yet written for NaPoWriMo this year. It's a my take on the Day 8 challenge at NaPoWriMo.net, which is rewriting a famous poem in your own style.The original poem by César Vallejo is here.



2 comments:

  1. Nicely done in the spirit of the prompt.

    (Possible typo's on line 8 and line 12)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, typos. Thank you! I wrote this directly after reading your take on the prompt.

      Delete