12 April 2013

Gifts

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General S. Patton


Empty Casings
image by The U.S. Army
I've kept these bullets,
The steel length of this bayonette,
For you.
And I am sorry
For my gifts:
Gunpowder,
Shrapnel,
Artillery.
I'll do my best
To pierce your heart,
To give you death
With all your limbs
And a hero's diginty.
I'll salute your brave body
And leave it there
with your dog tag
And my presents.
Take them to your God
With my apologies.


Day 12 and still going. This on is submitted at Sunday Scribblings.

9 comments:

  1. Well crafted and very thoughtful, this made me think. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. What AN AMAZING POEM. VERY EMOTIONAL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good - it made me think too.

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very powerful. If only the right people got to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting...but, I'm not sure how to take it...I always considered an apology as an act of contrition...not an act of defiance...but, that's me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super poem! Extremely moving!

    ReplyDelete