23 April 2012

The End of Gold




Duty calls.
But so does beer
And football
And dirty movies.

I should make a choice.

I choose...
Not to oblige,
Or conscript,
Or submit.

I'm not going to put on shoes
And socks today.
I'll wear a bowtie in the bathtub.
I'll hire a butler
To serve me wine.

I'm not going to the office today.
I'm not going to Safeway
For soy milk.
I'm not going to answer my phone.
I don't care
If you wonder about my well-being.
Your ass
Can go straight to voicemail.

I'm going to take your sister
On a date.
Be afraid.
I've got cologne and breath mints.
And I don't have to
Wake up early anymore.

There are no ties to bind.
There's no more incentive
You can't offer me anything.
Because nothing is ever going to be gold
Again.


This is based on the prompt, Duty Calls, from dVerse~Poets Pub. Also submitted it to Imaginary Garden With Real Toads for Open Link Monday.  I tried some more audio. I have to get a better microphone. I read it several times, but I didn't quite get what I wanted, especially in the beginning. Well, here it is anyway.

10 comments:

  1. Duty calls and you send it to voice mail! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man. This is brilliant. LOVE:
    "I'm not going to put on shoes
    And socks today.
    I'll wear a bowtie in the bathtub.
    I'll hire a butler
    To serve me wine. "

    And that fun voicemail line! :)

    Needed some irreverence in my life this morning. Perfect, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An in-your-face for all the obligations in life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...i like this, the directness...the bowtie int he bath tub is a great line...your ass can go to vcmail, lol...nice reading too...

      Delete
  4. Okay, bitterness beholds this view, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is kinda how I've felt ever since I retired--it's very liberating to just do what you want, and when you screw up, you know pretty quickly. well conceived, and well executed throughout--I'm lovin the soy milk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this poem a lot! It's defiant spirit, its determination and even what seems to me some sadness at the end. Thanks too for visiting my blog! I really enjoyed being introduced to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To not follow any rules, have not plans, do the unexpected... fun read.

    ReplyDelete