13 December 2011

Flesh Technician

DSC01721a.jpg
Image from slayerphoto



A scalpel
Isn’t much different than a screwdriver
Or a wrench in the right hands.

Surgical scrubs or coveralls.
Blood or grease.
Boots or booties.

Shiny tools on a tray.
The flesh technician
Dismantles a man.

Remove, replace, modify.
Swap the parts
Like an automotive rebuild.

Righty tighty.
Check the fluids.
Suture to close.


Inspiration for this poem came from the reason I have not posted any poems in a while. My wife had a fairly sudden hospital stay that resulted in a  laparoscopic cholecystectomy, which was pretty much planned, but not expected to be so immediate. Anyway, a few days in the hospital, then surgery, then recovery. The way the surgeon explained things made a lot of sense to me. It seemed very technical. Almost mechanical-technical. I guess that coupled with my experience as a mechanic and the above correlations. Look for it at dVerse.

9 comments:

  1. i hope your wife is continuing to recover...and yes they are tools it is the hands that weild them that make all the difference...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Flesh technician" sounds really creepy but actually pretty accurate. I hope your wife is doing well. Perhaps you've found your 2nd (3rd? 4th? after) career!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i guess that's just like it is.. enjoyed your poem and wishing your wife a good recovery

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the cause, happy for the result. The human body is indeed just a very complex machine. It's the brain that's the weird part. ;_)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blessings on your wife's recovery and thank you for sharing a part of what's going on in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your wife is getting better. I can relate to this poem as my mom had a recent surgery too. Blessings and happy thoughts ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the well wishes. My wife is doing fine. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done, I hope your wife is feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete