20 November 2011

Kill Him Completely

If you want to kill a man,
Kill him completely.
Break his soul
With his neck.
Use a blade
Close and slow.
Be right there
When the blood stops flowing.
Touch his body
Until it is icy and stiff.
Look into his eyes
Until they're empty.
Make sure
To steal his very last breath.
Dig his hole with your own hands
And put your ear to his fresh grave,
Just to make sure.

Leave just one nail
On a limp and tired finger,
Leave one last
Cardiac contraction
And the final blood will drip
From your face.
His angry hand
Will strike through the loose, black dirt
To scratch at your eyes.

You won't even be able to see hell.

So if you're going to kill a man,
You'd better kill him all the way.



Pop culture influences here are from both the Van Halen song and Clint Eastwood movie titled Hang 'em High. David Lee Roth sings a great line "one ear to the ground, he's listening to the dead."
Clint Eastwood says, "You hang a man, you better look at him..."
Submitted at the Poetry Pantry.




8 comments:

  1. Wow, a strong poem, one with visuals, from the 'gut.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your visit and comment at my site. Thank you even more for this powerful warning. Not that I want to see anyone die today, but ... there have been moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remind me never to make you angry! Your poems are really packing an emotional punch of late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. M.A.S. ... I am so glad that I read the "influences." This is well done. At first I was a huh? But after reading Valery's statement and the poem's influences ... I saw it quite differently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A chilling write...your words captured it well.

    Nice to meet you ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings,

    hope all is well,

    invite you to join poetry picnic today, simply share a relevant or a random piece, and enjoy!
    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Always, your presence is sunshine to us.
    Best Wishes!

    your talent rocks.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mouse, I think I'm making up for lost time and being away from my blog.


    Raven, I'm glad you finally liked it! lol


    Thanks, all.

    ReplyDelete