01 August 2011

My Words are Bleeding


My words are bleeding,
And I’m not sure what I can do to stop it.

Crimson spreads across the page
From the serifs of their font.
It reaches each neighbor like an infection.
It stains the papers like a satin shroud.
Beautiful, but dying.

All my procedures:
Useless.
Every keystroke ends in
Backspace, Undo.
It hurts them.

Another drop trickles out
Each time eyes cross their bodies.
“I will do all I can for you.”
Change the dressings.
Keep the wounds clean,
But there’s no more medicine for me to give.

I’m not a doctor.
I’m not even a poet.
I’ve let my words die.


I got the idea (and title) for this poem from the title of a wonderful poem on Mixture, a blog by an amazingly talented poet. I hope she doesn't mind that I stole her title. Anyway, I took the title much more literally than she used it.  Sometimes I feel like I've written something that has a lot of potential, but I just can't get it whee it needs to go. Usually, I give up. Look for it at Poet's United's Poetry Pantry and Jingle's Poetry Potluck.

14 comments:

  1. a very powerful and slick write

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this feeling all too well! Great poem. Sometimes benign neglect is the best medicine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the depth, the sharpness of your knife slicing into pain, disecting it's being.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am touched, firstly for calling me an amazingly talented poet. Secondly, I am honored, you have used the title I used last and turned it into such a wonderful poem, (why would I mind!). Yours more apt than mine is, with respect to the title.

    It is a true blessing to have met you in the blogosphere, I learn so much from you every time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, you show up in my feed, so I couldn't have missed it! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, all.

    @Deep: I just thought I should give credit were credit was due.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope some days your words are gold coloured, and dance across the page rather than bleed? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. i suggest you just let it flow. I'm thinking perhaps your colors have gotten confused. Red is blue or black. Write. You'll be okay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done I like this piece very sharp :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, all!

    @ Jinksy: I don't know about gold, but they are pretty shiny sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love these lines:

    “I will do all I can for you.”
    Change the dressings.
    Keep the wounds clean,
    But there’s no more medicine for me to give.

    sometimes there's only so much we can give.

    ReplyDelete