04 May 2011

Dumbstruck

I don't understand
How to heal a lonesome heart
Or how to mend a widowed emotion.
I can't calculate the equation
Or research the right answer.

Linear Logic
Will not explain
Or console it,
Or ever make it
Any better.


This is, basically a poem I wrote in May last year. I call it a revision, but I only changed it by adding a title. I think something is missing, but I also think it needs to be brief. I think its the first two lines that could use the most help. This is close enough (I think) to fit Jingle Poetry's Poetry Potluck prompt this week. Thanks for reading!

15 comments:

  1. M.A.S., logic often doesn't work in matters of the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'widowed emotion' is such a shudderful expression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "How can you mend a broken heart? How can you stop the rain falling down?..." Sorry, reminded me of Al Green. I like the phrase "widowed emotion." Don't think I've ever heard that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. true, witty one,
    well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deep-Shudderful is such a cool word!

    Mouse-that could have been in the back of my subconscious, but mending broken hearts is a pretty common concept.

    Thanks, Jingle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the first stanza, MAS.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love "widowed emotion". Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "or how to mend a widowed emotion..."

    pain that profound can only be described that way by a real poet. very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michael, I'm not sure how to heal a lonesome heart. The Bee Gees already used "How can you mend a broken heart," too!

    Perhaps it's not about healing, but more about that heart reaching out to be found by another? Hmmm... we're all on your side, babe! Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/lindy-hoppers-3ww/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy, I'm not sure about that line either. I didn't want to go for broken or wounded or anything like that. So maybe you're on to something by rethinking "heal."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pam and Tess, Thanks.

    Lucy, I think it feels familiar because it's half cliche.


    Bing, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete