20 April 2011

Metal Emotions

What I have for you,
What I carry for you
Deep inside my gut,
Every moment attracting more magnetic emotions
Like an electric coil
Hovering in the scrapyard.

Heavy iron and steel
Clanging to the core of my inside.
They weigh me down.
Thunder with every barefoot tiptoe.
They overflow my stomach.
Take over my lungs.
My brain.
My blood.

Ferrous fragments in every cell.
And you control the current.
Programmed your robot.
Flipped the switch.


For some reason I wanted to write about something heavy. I was thinking about physics formulae and wanted to make a poem that could have a lot of momentum (mass x velocity). So I needed a lot of mass. It went somewhere else, and I know the notes are ridiculous. Look for it at One Shot Wednesday.

13 comments:

  1. Interesting - joining tech and earth with the outpourings of the heart...makes for a nice mixture. Science and emotion joined as one - madness! But very nicely done. Heavy, as you say, but it certainly has the momentum - it drives into you and it stays, rooting around in the mind after reading. Sometimes these feelings, they just grip us and they won't let go, and we can be but pulled along...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is intense desire or commitment or obsession...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor robot - no choice left? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel obsession. When I just can't let something / someone go. Every movement pulls at every molecule. Magnetism is a brilliant metaphor. Great piece!
    ~Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, this is really really cool and interesting!

    Darned old electric magnet getting the power switched on, and you with your ferrous fragments within.

    WONDERFUL metaphor.

    And in reading on your header.... "A poem is never finished, only abandoned." I can totally relate to that! But all life is a poem, so I guess the work always IS in progress. Wonderful and true.

    My pleasure to meet you via One Shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes i grabbed on obsession as well...left in the hands of another i do hope they handle with care...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never would have thought of emotions as being "metal" before. Very interesting take on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cianphelan-Thanks. I always join science and emotion!

    Jinksy-Thanks. Robots don't get to choose.

    Brenda-Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janine, thank you so much. I'm glad you enjoyed my poem. I hope you enjoy more.


    I really wasn't going for obsession, I think. I know the poem may sound kind of drastically negative, but I was thinking of my daughters when I wrote it.

    Mouse, I had to make them metal, or the magnet wouldn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An impressive piece, M.A.S.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  11. wOW! I LOVE THE WAY YOUR MIND WORKS!

    ReplyDelete