23 April 2011

Intruder

shadowy figure
Image from bitmask
Don’t be afraid
When my shadow
Blackens your window
And blocks the moonlight
Like the ghost of a midnight cloud.

When you hear
The footsteps of my obsession
Circle your lawn at night,
Close your eyes
So my blurry form
Won’t frighten the corner of your eye.

The Doberman at your bedroom door
Didn’t bark because
He knows it’s just me.
Your eyelids open
To wipe away last night’s dream.

There’s no startle in your tired eyes
As they begin
To make out my face.
I know the shake of your head
Means “go away”
As your pillow invites you back asleep.

You don’t need me to tuck you in
Anymore.



Day 22' s entry came late. This is from thinking about my oldest daughter and how she always tells my wife that she will never move out and she wants to live with mommy and daddy forever. Many of my friends have children that are grown and moved out. They don't always seem that happy about it. I don't know how I'll take it.

4 comments:

  1. Whew, this poem gives me shivers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mary. I'm just glad I found a good picture to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter (15) can't wait to leave! Depending on what hour of the day you ask me, my feelings can be totally opposite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My oldest daughter is only 5. So, she'll be stuck with me for a while, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete