06 April 2011

The Futility of Truth

I watch amazed
And listen
As you fabricate a truth
Delicate as a baby’s first Christmas.
You weave this false reality
On a loom of lies.

Only I can see how you,
Like a great thinker,
Invented each word.
It disgusts me.
But then,
What about Santa Claus?

I’ll attack each falsehood
With a heavy-headed axe,
As if to fell a decaying oak.
But you’re too good
And too strong.
The lies stand adamant
And my onslaught falls off
Like a shedding snake.

I leave my axe and flee
With no weapons,
No skin.
And even I find it peculiar
That tomorrow
I’ll try again.


My poem for day 6 of NaPoWriMo is developed from a Three Word Wednesday prompt. Three words are provided as a prompt. I thought I'd identify the three words in my poem, but now I think I won't.

19 comments:

  1. A strong poem and I particularly liked

    I leave my axe and flee
    With no weapons,
    No skin.
    And even I find it peculiar
    That tomorrow
    I’ll try again.

    Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, ladies. I'm glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of strong images... love the third stanza.

    ~laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a really strong voice, I want to 'hear' more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic poem. That first stanza is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still chewing on the concept of a fabricated truth...really like that. Good job. Vb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all your very positive input. I hope you'll want to read more.

    @ Laurie-I really had fun with the third stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very nice poem! I particularly like "as you fabricate a truth, delicate as a baby's first Christmas."

    ReplyDelete
  9. You weave this false reality on a loom of lies. Wow! This is a powerful piece. Extremely well written. Thanks for sharing it.
    ~Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Lola. Though, I'm not entirely happy with that line. I couldn't improve on it anymore in one day.

    Brenda, thanks as well- I was nervous about that line. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of power to this piece. I loved especially that Christmas analogy and the follow-through into the second verse. Strong write!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, arspoetica, I played around with those lines a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wonderful poem. i wonder who should win!

    trisha
    http://sharmishthabasu.wordpress.com/2011/04/08/the-visitor-for-3ww/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Trisha. I think it has to be a stalemate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Delicate as a baby's first Christmas..." You are sharp as a knife and so open to questioning the status quo. Loved this take on the prompt, and you're right, so different, our two!
    Here's my latest. Feel free to reply with a link, as well as a critique, anytime! Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/maybe-now-pa-npwm-11/

    ReplyDelete