17 April 2011

Burning the Blueprint

Blueprint
Image by Will Scullin
I had a master plan
And a blueprint.
A manual to my life
With illustrated instructions
Step by step.

The pieces matched the pictures.
Everything was there.
Everything was in order.
I didn’t assemble
A single screw
Without studying  the sequence.

Then you asked me,
“What are you always reading?”
Didn’t you have a blueprint, too?
No.
You just did
Whatever.

I had planned for everything
That might have happened.
But how could you have happened?
I had no contingency for you.

I should have known
When you walked around the dark
With candles instead of flashlights.
That my blueprints would burn quick
Like a magician’s flame.
And that you would giggle at the smoke.


This was written quickly as my day 18 poetry attempt. I used this week's prompt from Sunday Scribblings. Probably look for it at Writer's Island too. As I said, it was written quickly. I'm not as pleased as I would like to be, but I think some parts are salvageable.

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful, I love the analogy of going from flashlights to candles and giggling at the smoke.. so much more fun that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are happy to have that spanner thrown into the works of your blue print.
    I like your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nicely done! All the best plans will change! and thanks for the comments you have been leaving for me! Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. plans still can get screwed up, but it's still best to plan.
    i enjoyed the read, you have put a smile on my face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find that while I love structure, I cannot plan per se, because there are just too many variables I cannot control. I aim for general goals and directions, and hope the path isn't too choppy. It's worked more or less so far, and some of my detours have been fun. I wish you luck and you chart your course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best laid plans of mice and men...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank, all. A lot more positive input than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked this. I'm a bit of a control freak, so I identified with the speaker. And people aren't on blueprints. A great take on "design".

    ReplyDelete